Summer’s over and it’s time to review where you are and determine what needs to be done to properly plan for your special needs child’s future. Here is a quick checklist to get you started.
- Have you addressed the issue of guardianship? If your child is 18 or older, you no longer have the legal right to make medical decisions for your child.
- Has your child has reached age 18? If so, have you applied for SSI and Medicaid? Medicaid is particularly important since it provides access to adult services. SSI provides income.
- Have you established proper Wills and Trusts?
- Have transition services been incorporated into your child’s IEP?
- Are your legal and financial documents coordinated?
- Have you prepared a Letter of Intent for your special needs child?
- Does your Executor/Executrix have a copy of the Letter of Intent?
- Is the Trust endowed with enough money to assure that distributions will not consume the principal throughout your child’s lifetime?
- Is all of your insurance in place and up-to-date, including life, health and income protection? If something were to happen to you or your spouse tomorrow, what would happen to your special needs child?